Friday, September 30, 2011

Lev Grossman The Magicians

Unfortunately because of my busy week, I was not able to read the entire book.

The Magicians is a fictional story that revolves around Quentin Coldwater, a brilliant yet miserable high school student. His life changes dramatically when he is given a secret invitation to join an unknown college of magic in New York. Once enrolled, he learns the secrets to wizardry and is taught how to summon enchantments. Coldwater's miserable existence slowly fades away as he settles more into the magical community. He slowly familiarizes himself with new discoveries: love, friendship, loss, boredom, etc.

I didn't really enjoy the amount I was able to read from the book. It reminded me much of Harry Potter and it wasn't as interesting. There didn't seem to be much magic and it lacked any optimism. I was unable to fully appreciate the main characters or even the other characters. I felt that the author tried to hard in incorporating an existentialist outlook to the novel and just didn't pull it off well. I feel that he should have stuck with pure fantasy. In the end, the book is too cold and sterile.

However, there are a few things I did enjoy in general about the novel. Coldwater turning from a nobody into a sorcerer is done well here. It is interesting to see the evolution from man to sorcerer. Grossman successfully conveys the huge rush of empowerment a disenfranchised teen would feel if magical powers were suddenly introduced to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment